EXAMPLES OF FIREFLY APPLICATIONS
F irefly Orbital Welding Machine can be used where a high degree of weld repeatability is required and a flat or flexible track/band can be installed.
Examples of welding applications can include:
- oil, gas and water pipelines
- wind and wave farm construction
- large diameter vessel fabrication
- chemical and petrochemical facility construction
- steam pipes
- tubular structures
- pressure vessel construction
- internal welds
- shipyard construction work
- power plant construction, nuclear and conventional
- general fabrication
For more information about the suitability of firefly for your intended application, click the drop downs below:
- Welding codes
The firefly system has been tested to comply with the following welding codes:
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
ASME IX (ASME 9) – Process Pipework Code.
ASME B31.3 – 2010 Process Piping.
ASME B31.8 – 2010 Gas Transmission and Distribution Piping Systems.
- British Standards
BS4515-1-2009 - Specification for Welding of Steel Pipelines on Land and Offshore.
BS2633:1987 - Specification for class I arc welding of ferritic steel pipework for carrying fluids.
BS2971:1991 - Specification for class II arc welding of carbon steel pipework for carrying fluids.
National Grid T/SP/P2 - Specification for process welding of steel pipelines on land and offshore.
National Grid T/SP/P1 - Specification for the welding of steel pipe for distribution systems and installations (operating at pressures below 7 bar).
- American Petroleum Institute
API 1104 - Welding of pipelines and related facilities.
- Australian Pipeline Standard
AS 2885-2 (2007) – Pipelines gas and liquid petroleum – Welding.
- Welding processes
firefly is capable of welding using the following weld processes:
- Pulsed GMAW
- RMD GMAW
- Welding positions
firefly is capable of welding in all weld positions:
- 1G - Flat
- 2G - Horizontal
- 3G - Vertical upwards progression
- 3G - Vertical downwards progression
- 4G - Overhead
- 5G - Pipe fixed horizontal
- 6G - Pipe fixed at 45 degrees upwards
- 6G - Pipe fixed at 45 degrees downwards
- Welding passes
firefly has multiple pass capability:
- Root pass
- Fill pass
- Hot pass
- Cap pass
- Welding wire
firefly is capable of welding with all types of welding wire.
- Welded materials
All welded materials are subject to weld procedure qualifications (wPQR).
- Bevel configurations
All bevel configurations can be welded with firefly subject to weld procedure qualifications (wPQR).
If you have any unusual applications, contact us to see if the in-built versatility of the firefly orbital welding system can be adapted to suit your specific requirements.